Foresters are often the jack-of-all-trades of forest workers, and professional foresters can often find themselves engaged in a variety of activities. A forester is a professional who manages the natural and anthropogenic aspects of forested ecosystems.
Activities of Foresters may include the following:
- Plan and implement management of forested ecosystems.
- Consult with stakeholders regarding best use of the forest resource.
- Conduct research and resource surveys.
- Develop and monitor reforestation activities.
- Fight wildfires and manage prescribed burns.
- Plan and lay-out forest access roads.
- Plan and evaluate insect and disease control programs.
- Procure fiber for industrial consumption.
- Measure, grade, and appraise the timber value of trees in a forest ready for harvest.
- Supervise timber harvests.
- Plan and direct the recreational use of forests.
- Design and implement watershed management plans.
- Plan and implement forest management plans for wildlife benefits.
- Manage urban trees and community forests.
- Public education and forest sector awareness.
- Manage cottage development areas.